Monday, March 17, 2014

Creating Art

      Hi everyone!  I am an elementary school teacher and last week I started a new job.  For the remaining school year I get to teach art to third, fourth and fifth graders.  There is so much I want to teach!  Right now we are limited to what we can do so I had the kids paint me a Winter, Spring or combined picture using the computer program Paint.  They did really well.  I loved looking at all the different ways the kids used the program.  I had beautiful winter scenes with blue skies, gray skies, snowy trees, snow covered cabins , falling snowflakes and of course, snowmen.  My spring pictures included colorful ROY G BIV (the color order of a rainbow..red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) rainbows, gorgeous smiling flowers and lovely park pictures.  The one's that made me laugh were the combined Winter/Spring pictures.  I had students draw snowmen with lightning bolts pointed towards them because the kids are tired of this long, cold, snowy winter we have had. 

     I love to draw, color and paint using paper, paints, chalk, pencils, brushes etc.  It's relaxing to me but for my illustrations for my first book, World of Color,  I found my paintings wouldn't scan well and I was taking twice as much time on each page fixing them on the computer.  Eventually, I  started drawing them on the computer with the help of my drawing tablet and drawing/paint program.  My second book Imagination Destination, the illustrations are done entirely on the computer.  It takes some getting used to but is a lot of fun.  I still love my art supplies and use them whenever I get a chance.  Do you paint, or draw?  What mediums do you like to use?  Ever tried using a drawing program?  You can leave me a comment or talk with me on my Facebook page. You can also check out my Pinterest page to see some of my slate paintings I have done over the years.  I also have a few of my computer created illustrations on there as well.

     I'm hoping my students have a lot of fun with me these next few weeks and learn a little about art and how fun it can be.


Rebecca Lyndsey


Amazon Link http://tinyurl.com/ndb8usb